Current:Home > ContactSignalHub-Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge -CapitalEdge
SignalHub-Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:21:51
WASHINGTON (AP) — Reported sexual assaults at the U.S. military service academies dropped in 2024 for the second year in a row,SignalHub according to new Pentagon data, marking a sharp turnaround from an alarming surge two years agothat triggered sweeping reviews and an overhaul in leadership.
The decline in reports was mirrored by a similar decrease in the total number of students who said in an anonymous survey that they experienced some type of unwanted sexual contact during the school year that ended in the spring.
Defense officials, however, warned on Thursday that the numbers are still high, and there is still a lot of work to be done.
According to the survey, which is done every other year, about 13% of female students said they experienced unwanted sexual contact in the 2024 school year, compared with more than 21% in 2022. For men, the rate decreased from 4.4% to 3.6%.
The reported assaults reflect familiar trends. Most of the alleged offenders are also academy students and are often known to the victim. They often happen after duty hours or on weekends and holidays. Drinking has long been a consistent factor.
Beth Foster, executive director of the Pentagon’s force resiliency office, called the new numbers encouraging. But she added, “the prevalence of sexual assault and harassment is still far too high. What this data tells us is that this is a difficult problem for all, but it is not an impossible problem to solve.”
A vast majority of students — 88% — responded to the survey. Defense officials said they are still concerned that, based on the survey, an estimated 783 students experienced unwanted sexual contact but just a small percentage reported it.
The U.S. military and defense leaders have pushed improvements in programs, leadership training and staffing to encourage more victims to report so they can receive help and perpetrators can be punished.
Defense officials released preliminary data much earlier than usual this year, and said the full report will go out in February. They said the early release was done to provide better information to school leaders who are implementing changes.
However, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin will leave in January when President-elect Donald Trump takes office, and new leadership will take over the Pentagon. Trump and his pick to lead the Pentagon, Pete Hegseth, have vowed to eliminate “woke” policiesfostering diversity and equity, and it’s not clear how any of that may impact sexual assault prevention efforts.
Hegseth himself has been accused of sexual assault, which he denies, although he acknowledges making a settlement paymentto the woman.
Foster and others said Austin’s pressure on academy leaders to confront the problem led to a number of changes in how the schools foster better leaders and focus more stridently on sexual assault prevention.
The total number of reported sexual assaults at the academies is divided in an often complex and confusing way. Academy and defense officials focus on the number of assaults reported by cadets and midshipmen during their school year. But students sometimes file reports after they leave the academies, describing incidents that happened when they were in school.
The total is 106 for the 2024 school year, a sharp drop from 137 last year and 170 in 2022. The totals also decreased at each individual academy.
Students at the U.S. Naval Academy reported 47 assaults, a slight dip from 49 the previous year. The other two saw significant decreases: Students at the Air Force Academy in Colorado reported 34, compared with 45 last year, and those at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in New York reported 25, compared with 43.
In addition, eight students reported assaults last year that happened to them before they became students.
The military services and the academies have struggled for years to combat sexual assault and harassment, with myriad prevention, education and treatment programs. But despite reams of research, and expanded programs, the numbers have grown.
A renewed emphasis on it in the past several years has led to improvements and staff increases, although service members still complain that the videos and other programs are often outdated and don’t resonate as well with young troops.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (419)
Related
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Minnesota and Eli Lilly settle insulin price-gouging lawsuit. Deal will hold costs to $35 a month
- King Charles III's cancer, Prince Harry and when family crises bring people together
- Stabbing of Palestinian American near the University of Texas meets hate crime standard, police say
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Aaron Rodgers tells Joe Rogan he's lost friends, allies, millions over his COVID-19 beliefs
- Carjacking indictment in Chicago latest amid surge in US car heists since pandemic
- U.S. Electric Vehicles Sales Are Poised to Rise a Lot in 2024, Despite What You May Have Heard
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Why Tish Cyrus Said “I Love You” to Husband Dominic Purcell One Day After Meeting Him
Ranking
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Travis Kelce’s Mom Might Be Sitting Next to Fans at Super Bowl Due to “Multimillion” Dollar Prices
- Travis Kelce's mom doesn't think they'll splurge on 'multi-million dollar' Super Bowl suite
- Royal insider on King Charles' cancer diagnosis and what it means for Britain's royal family
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Anthony Fauci will reflect on his long government career in ‘On Call,’ to be published in June
- Missing snow has made staging World Cup cross country ski race a steep climb in Minnesota
- As long school funding lawsuit ends in Kansas, some fear lawmakers will backslide on education goals
Recommendation
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Prince Harry back in U.K. to be with his father following King Charles' cancer diagnosis
Judge criticizes Trump’s midtrial mistrial request in E. Jean Carroll defamation case
Trump says Bud Light should be given a second chance after Dylan Mulvaney backlash
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
Maryland’s Gov. Moore says state has been ‘leaving too much potential on the table’ in speech
Why Rep. Al Green left his hospital bed to tank the Mayorkas impeachment
Taylor Swift's 'Eras Tour' movie will stream on Disney+ with an extended setlist